Since changing my diet to a predominantly whole food, plant-based (wfpb) one, I’ve had several people ask me, “Why go vegan?”
I first gave up animal products for health reasons. My list of reasons has grown the more I’ve learned about the impacts our diet choices have on our planet and the humans and animals living on it. Eating more plants and fewer animal foods benefits us in so many ways. I can’t be expected to keep all those benefits a secret! A plant-based diet has such a positive impact on our overall health and helping people feel well is what I’m all about.
Here is my list of why switching to a whole food, plant-based diet is a solid life choice.
- A plant-based diet is environmentally sustainable.
- Some of the longest-lived people on the planet follow a predominantly plant-based diet.
- The health benefits are abundant! This diet has been shown to help prevent and reverse diseases such as diabetes, digestive disorders, and heart disease.
- It’s affordable. Plant-based staples tend to cost less than animal products such as dairy and meat.
- I see this way of eating as the least violent diet for animals and humans alike.
I will expound on each of these reasons in follow up posts so stay tuned.
Join the conversation in the comments!
How has your diet evolved over time?