I’ve got an extra special treat for you today. You won’t see a ton of desserts recipe on this site. One, because I’m not much of a baker. Two, because I don’t eat a ton of desserts. I’d much rather have a fruit filled smoothie for dessert than a piece of cake. But there are special occasions when only dessert will do. Birthdays and holidays are such occasions.
I made this recently for a friend’s birthday and really enjoyed making and eating it. First of all, no baking required! It’s a super simple recipe. It’s a bit tart and a bit sweet, but not too much. And it incorporates some delicious fruit which I love.
This would be a great dessert that’s on the lighter side for your next holiday party or dinner. The recipe makes enough for two tarts (I used 8.8 inch tart pans) so it will serve a good-sized crowd.
As always, make this recipe your own. Use whatever fruit you have or enjoy. Get fancy with the pattern or don’t. Either way, it’s going to taste great.
- 3 cups of vegan graham cracker crumbs (about 2 sleeves worth)
- 6-7 TB coconut oil, melted
- 8 oz of vegan cream cheese (I prefer to use the Kite Hill brand as they have the cleanest, whole food based ingredients)
- 1 batch of coconut milk whipped cream (I like this one from MinimalistBaker.com)
- 1 container of So Delicious Cocowhip
- zest from 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tb coconut sugar (optional)
- Or any other fruit your heart desires
- To make graham cracker crumbs, either blend crackers in a blender or crush by hand in a bowl.
- With crumbs in a medium sized bowl, pour melted coconut oil over them. Use your hands or a spoon to mix crumbs and oil together. It will begin to resemble wet sand.
- Press graham cracker dough into two 9-inch tart pans.
- Chill crusts in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. If you’re short on time, you can place them in the freezer for half the time.
- While crusts are chilling, prepare the filling.
- Place the vegan cream cheese into a mixing bowl and whip until smooth and creamy.
- Add in whichever whipped cream you are using, orange zest, and vanilla extract and blend until incorporated.
- Taste and add some coconut sugar if you would like it to be sweeter. Start with one tsp at a time until you reach desired taste.
- Remove crusts from fridge or freezer and spread the filling evenly into each one.
- Top tart with fruit in whatever pattern you would like.
- Allow to chill for at least 10 more minutes before enjoying!