One of the most important things to many people when it comes to eating healthy is getting dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. I’m all about helping you do that. I enjoy cooking a whole lot. I’m totally happy to spend extra time in the kitchen because it’s a sort of meditation for me. I realize that isn’t everyone’s reality though.
People are busy and many get off work late. When that happens, it’s tempting to order take-out or microwave whatever you can find. May I suggest you try this yummy meal instead. Consider this a form of self-care. It comes together quite fast and is nourishing to boot which means you’ll feel better and have more energy to get back to your to-do list.
Loaded Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into fry shape
- 1/4 tsp salt
Black bean-corn topping:
- 2 cups of black beans
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn
- 1/2-3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 onions, sliced
- lime wedges
- avocado slices
- chopped romaine, other mixed green, or sauteed kale
- Place sweet potato wedges on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Sprinkle with salt and some water to help steam cook.
- Place potatoes in an oven set to 375 degrees. Bake for about 25 minutes, until cooked through.
- While those are cooking, slice onions.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with a little water in it (or use a tiny bit of oil such as grapeseed or coconut). Once hot, add onions and cook stirring occasionally. If cooking greens, add them into this pan for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for beans in a pot and warm through.
- Once, everything is done cooking plate it up.
- Start with fresh greens, add the sweet potatoes, beans, onions (and kale, if using), salsa, avocado slices, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Hot tip! To increase iron absorption from plant foods, be sure to eat iron-rich foods (like beans and whole grains) with something rich in vitamin c. This meal has all the goods since sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and lime all contain vitamin c.