I’ve been making a lot of taquitos lately. First, because they are delicious. Second, because they are super easy to make and come together fast.
These are not your typical fried taquitos, though. Instead, these are baked which makes them comfort food with a healthy twist.
I love dipping these into a chunky salsa or a bit of guacamole. Served alongside some greens, this is a delicious plant-based meal. Beans and greens are nutritional superstars.
Adobo Black Bean Sweet Potato Taquitos
Makes 8-10 taquitos
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 1 and 3/4 cup black beans
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
- 1-2 TB of salsa or green chilis
- big squeeze of lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp of adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Corn, whole wheat, or coconut flour tortillas (or whatever your favorite is)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sweet potatoes in a small pot of water and boil or steam until soft.
- In a medium bowl add beans and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add minced garlic and chopped spinach. (Optional: saute these in a pan before adding to beans. Be sure to drain any liquid from the cooked greens)
- Mix together and then add the salsa, lime juice, adobo, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Add drained sweet potatoes and mix everything together. Leaving it a bit chunky for some texture.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached. You can also add more lime juice or salsa instead.
- Spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of the mixture into warm/softened tortillas, placing the mixture just slightly off center. Roll them up tightly and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking mat.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Enjoy with salsa, guacamole, or other sauce you enjoy.